Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hello, Mr. Blog. Long time no see.

I have this patient who tells me, “Look Haltzman, if you’re going to have a blog, you have to write something every now and then!” I know she’s right. There’s so much going on in my life, and my life as an author and speaker, that I sometimes feel that sitting down to write a meaningful paragraph or two feels too overwhelming. Ironic, isn’t it, in the face of my now having written three books.

My new focus is on families. I just today met with a man who’s father died at the age of 59, and who (along with his sister) now has inherited his dad’s home. He tells me that, in addition, he has the responsibility of taking care of his 76 year old grandmother. Does he feel burdened? Well, he tells me, “Sometimes I’m so tired at the end of the day, that I don’t have any energy for myself.” It may sound like a hardship, but his attitude toward it is anything but annoyance: “Doctor, I feel like I have a new attitude toward my responsibility and meaning in life. I’ve needed to absorb my father’s values and I carry part of him with me. I want to do things that would make him proud.”

Having a family is work. But it’s also a source of direction and meaning. I hope to be talking a lot more about family in this blog over the next few months. All I have to do is what my patient demands of me: to write something every now and then!

No comments: